Thursday, February 4, 2010

Maverick


Maverick is with us while Tasha is in China, Australia, and New Zealand. She will be back in early March. Well, technically Maverick has been home since she got home in October, but I didn't have to watch him.

So, I am dog-sitting.

To make things even worse he has had two surgeries to remove cancerous tumors. The first was on his tail and the tail has little skin, so it is taking along time to grow closed. He delights with removing this bandage.

The second surgery was Tuesday. (Tasha in China.) He had a tumor under the skin near his shoulder. Alot of skin here so the staples are holding. He had a trip to the ER last night because there was fluid leaking under his skin and the swelling was huge below his shoulder. He was oozing a significant amount of blood/fluid from his incision. So, they applied a pressure bandage.

To help hold it in place, he is also sporting one of Tasha's pink T-shirts.

He had a good day today. Trying to adapt him to my schedule. Tasha has him too spoiled.

He is walking funny with this new bandage.

He does not like taking his pills. I found out he does not like cheese, but peanut butter is ok. However, his pain pill must taste really bad because he can now separate these out from the PB. So this morning, I crushed them up, mixed them with PB and sandwiched it between his biscuit treats. That worked, but I am not holding my breath that it will work tonight.

So, this is my second round of taking care of my daughter's dogs who have cancer. Hmmm.... I am a push over.


3 comments:

Tasha said...

You are SO NOT a pushover, you just love me so much and that is a very big difference!

Tasha said...

p.s. that picture is so adorable... thanks for taking it :-)

Vicki J. Dooly said...

Haha - PUSHOVER!!! Just kidding. How could you possibly resist a Great Dane with a pink t-shirt? Adorable! :-)